Sunday, October 3, 2010

A question I've been waiting for.

So this weekend was our Mormon General Conference. It's a time for all the members of our faith to hear the same message from the leaders of our church about things that they are concerned about and things they want to encourage us to do in the world today. There is only so much that scriptures can tell you about some of the things we go through in these times.

Anyway, one of the things that one of them talked about was addictions. The guy mentioned p0rn0graphy (written like that on purpose - so your internet filters will still let you read this.) Hyrum asked what p0rn0graphy is. It was a question that I was sure was going to be asked eventually during one of these Conferences because the topic is usually brought up. Plus, having 3 boys, it was a topic I wanted to bring up with them, but, there's not ONE great way to do this. When I thought about it before today, I had no idea what I would say or how I would handle it exactly. But today, when he asked, it wasn't awkward or anything, and this is what I told him:

P0rn0graphy is looking or watching naked people, mostly, but it's anything that makes you feel like you want to have sex besides your wife. The point of sex is to create life. P0rn0graphy makes fun of that power. It makes it seem like something you can do alone just to feel good. It eventually destroys your soul and your other relationships, especially with your wife. Then Brad and I told him it was something that he wouldn't really understand for a few more years, but that he can talk to us about it anytime. I finished the conversation being quite satisfied with my answer and wanted to share it with anyone else who may be thinking about how to handle that question.

5 comments:

The Sharp Family said...

Thank you so much for sharing this conversation. With 4 boys it is one we will have too. I really liked your answer. I am so grateful for inspiration when answering these types of questions. I am often surprised how questions I used to dread for my kids to bring up have been a good conversational experience for both of us.
Thanks again, Lisa

Siouxsie said...

What an awesome answer! I don't know if you've ever read "How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex" by Richard & Linda Eyre but I think you might enjoy it.

Jay said...

That is an excellent answer. I'm going to remember it for when my kids are old enough to ask about this!!

Susan said...

Trace, that's a perfect answer! I'm so proud of you for being so open and honest with your boys (I know you will be with the girls, too, when they're old enough). I wasn't as good about it with you or your siblings. I hope I'm better now so I can help encourage grandkids (and 14-yr-old seminary students) to stay free of addictions.

Sherrie said...

I love you! What a great answer... aren't the straightforward ones always the best.

today is Jennie's birthday, thanks for remembering, she had a wonderful day.